Para consultar el aviso en español, haga clic aquí.
- A Settlement has been reached with the University of Southern California and its Board of Trustees and with Dr. George M. Tyndall, M.D. in a class action lawsuit. Plaintiffs allege in the lawsuit that Dr. Tyndall assaulted, abused, sexually harassed, committed medical malpractice, or otherwise acted inappropriately towards female patients while he was a gynecologist at the USC Student Health Center, and that USC failed to respond appropriately to Dr. Tyndall's conduct.
- The Settlement provides a $215 million Settlement Fund for Class Members.
- Statement of Settlement Class Membership and Tier 2 and 3 Claim Forms must be received online or postmarked by mail no later than November 8, 2019.
- The Settlement requires USC to implement institutional changes, like an independent women’s health advocate on campus, stringent background checks, training, and monitoring of health center employees, and procedures at the university for preventing and reporting potential abuse or harassment, among other measures. Click here for the current status of the institutional changes.
- The deadline to object to the Settlement is October 9, 2019 and the deadline to exclude yourself from the Settlement is November 7, 2019.
Am I a Class Member?
You are a Class Member if you were seen for treatment by Dr. Tyndall at the University of Southern California Student Health Center during the period from August 14, 1989 to June 21, 2016:
(a) for Women’s Health Issues, (“Women’s Health Issues” includes but is not limited to any issue relating to breast, vaginal, urinary tract, bowel, gynecological, or sexual health, including contraception and fertility. A list of Women’s Health Issues is available on this website by clicking here.)
(b) whose treatment by Dr. Tyndall included an examination by him of her breast or genital areas,
(c) whose treatment included the taking of photographs or videotapes of her unclothed or partially clothed body.
Protecting Your Privacy
Your identity and all information you provide in making your claim will be kept strictly confidential in accordance with the Amended Settlement Agreement. Everyone you interact with when making your claim – either online or on the phone – is specially trained to be sensitive to the needs of survivors, and to ensure you have a safe, private, and compassionate place to tell your story.
Class Member Award Tiers
Recognizing the traumatic nature of the conduct at the heart of this case, the Settlement was designed to compensate Class Members for the harms they endured, while allowing individuals to select an award tier and participation level based on their willingness to discuss their experiences of abuse.
Tier 1 (Guaranteed Minimum $2,500 Payment)
Every Class Member will receive an initial, minimum $2,500 payment, simply by virtue of being a Class Member, in addition to being eligible for Tier 2 or Tier 3 payments. Those who can be pre-identified through USC's existing health center records will be automatically mailed a Tier 1 payment check for $2,500 once the Settlement is effective. Those Class Members who could not be identified through USC's records must submit a simple signed Statement of Class Membership Form to receive their $2,500 payment.
Tier 2 – for those who only feel comfortable sharing their story in writing.
Class Members have the option to submit a written Claim Form describing their experience with Dr. Tyndall, the impact to them, and the harm they suffered. Class Members willing to provide a written account of their experiences are eligible for a Tier 2 payment, for which there is a range of $7,500 and $20,000, subject to Pro Rata Adjustment. Claim Forms will be reviewed by a three-member claims Panel, made up of a Court-appointed Special Master, an OB/GYN, and a forensic psychologist selected by the Parties in consultation with the Special Master.
Tier 3 – for those who feel comfortable being interviewed by specially trained, compassionate specialists, in addition to submitting a written claim.
Class Members willing to provide information about their experience and its impact in the form of an interview with the team for the three-member claims Panel, in addition to the written Claim Form, are eligible for Tier 3 payments between $7,500 and $250,000, subject to Pro Rata Adjustment. Claim Forms will be reviewed by the three-member claims Panel.